In November 2014, we discovered that Apple Maps was testing taking business listings feeds from a number of local search technology and marketing companies. Earlier this year we reported that Yext was the only company from the list that was likely able to publish its clients’ business listings data to Apple Maps. Now, thanks to a newly discovered Apple Maps Acknowledgments page, it appears that business listings from both Position Technologies and DAC Group are now making it into Apple Maps.
The page has a “Rev” date of 6/4/2015 but this is the first I have seen of it so I have a feeling the data may have been making into the maps for a few months but that this page was published in June but was part of some update that only got pushed recently.
This doesn’t mean that other companies are not publishing their clients’ listings to Apple Maps. It just means Apple isn’t telling us that they are yet.
Also of interest is Apple is now publishing its sources of transit data which we expect to see in the new version of Apple Maps coming out in iOS 9. Here’s the list:
- Berlin transit data © 2014-2015 VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH/CC BY 3.0 DE/Adapted for use in Apple Maps/Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr (All information without guarantee).
- Berlin transit data from Ostseeland Verkehr GmbH/Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr (All information without guarantee).
- Germany transit data from Flixbus, a European intercity bus service provider: https://www.flixbus.com
- London transit data © 2015 ITO World Ltd. All rights reserved. Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.
- MTA and the MTA logo are trademarks of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and used with permission of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
- AirTrain JFK data from 511 NY.
- Westchester County transit data from 511 NY.
- Alameda County transit data © 2015 AC Transit/Disclaimer/CCBY 3.0.
- San Francisco – Bay Area transit data provided by MTC’s 511.org.
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency data reproduced with permission granted by the City and County of San Francisco. The information has been provided by means of a nonexclusive, limited, and revocable license granted by the City and County of San Francisco.
- Brampton transit data © 2015, The City of Brampton (All rights reserved.) Subject to terms at: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/OpenGov/Open-Data-Catalogue/Pages/Terms-of-Use.aspx.
- Burlington transit data from the City of Burlington. Subject to terms at: http://www.burlington.ca/en/services-for-you/resources/Initiative Projects/Open_data/TermsOfUse.pdf.
- Grand River Transit data provided by the Regional Municipality of Waterloo under licence.
- Guelph Transit data provided by the City of Guelph under an open government license.
- Hamilton Street Railways public sector data made available under the City of Hamilton’s open data licence.
- Ontario transit data provided with permission of Metrolinx. Metrolinx makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or currency of the data used herein.
- MiWay transit data from the City of Mississauga. Subject to terms at: http://www5.mississauga.ca/research_catalogue/CityofMississauga_TermsofUse.pdf.
- Contains information licensed under the Open Government Licence – Niagara Region http://www.niagararegion.ca/government/opendata/terms-of-use.aspx.
- Oakville Transit data licensed under the Open Government Licence – Town of Oakville.
- Toronto Transit data licensed under the Open Government Licence – Toronto.